Valerian and lemon balm soothe nervousness, stress and anxiety. They can help you relax, boost your mood and sleep better. Valerian has been shown to help with sleep and bee grass that calms the nervous system.
What is valerian?
Valerian (Valeriana officinalis L.) has been used since ancient times to promote calm and improve sleep. During World War II, it was used in England to relieve the stress of air raids. Valerian root increases the levels of the neurotransmitter GABA (γ-aminobutyric acid) in the brain, which has an anxiolytic effect. The herb contains chemical compounds, such as valeric acid and isobaleric acid that can promote sleep and reduce stress . Valerian acid has been found to inhibit the breakdown of GABA, causing feelings of calm.
Valerian also contains the antioxidants esperidin and linarin, which appear to have sedative and sleep-enhancing properties . These compounds can inhibit the excessive activity of the amygdala, a part of the brain that processes fear and emotional reactions to stress.
What is lemon balm?
Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L.) is an aromatic herb that comes from the same family as mint and is traditionally used to improve mood. It can help relieve stress and anxiety.
A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 18 people  found that taking beeswax reduced the negative effects of psychological stress on mood. Participants who took the herb reported an increased sense of calm and decreased alertness.
Another study looked at the mood and effects of foods containing beeswax . The supplement was mixed into a drink and yogurt along with natural or artificial sweeteners. Participants in both groups reported positive results in various aspects of mood, including reduced stress levels.
The combination of the two herbs
Valerian, although a mild sleep aid, also has the interesting effect of calming people when they are anxious. The addition of honeysuckle creates a flexible combination that can be taken in the evening and in lighter doses during the day for relaxation and better mood. The combination has been evaluated in the case of children’s hyperactivity.
A multicenter study looked at the effectiveness of valerian / honeysuckle in 918 children under the age of 12 who had anxiety and difficulty sleeping. Symptoms decreased with the improvement being, on average, 38%. Both parents and researchers rated the effectiveness as “very good” or “good” (60.5% and 67.7%, respectively) and did not show any side effects.
Another study, in 169 children with hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder, combined the two herbs in a dose of 640 mg valerian and 320 mg beeswax daily in the evening. Evaluations by parents and pediatricians showed that problems with focus, hyperactivity, impulsivity, and sleep were significantly reduced for the majority of children.
The combination has also been tested in postmenopausal women. In a clinical trial published in 2020 and involving 100 women, aged 50-60 years, with sleep disorders, the combination of 160 mg valerian and 80 mg beeswax twice a day for one month resulted in improvement in 36 symptoms. % of the experimental group and only 8% of the placebo group .
At Vita4you.gr you will find a wide variety of herbs for stress!
- GABA A Receptors as in Vivo Substrate for the Anxiolytic Action of Valerenic Acid, a Major Constituent of Valerian Root Extracts.
- Sedative and sleep-enhancing properties of linarin, a flavonoid-isolated from Valeriana officinalis.
- Attenuation of Laboratory-Induced Stress in Humans After Acute Administration of Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm).
- Anti-Stress Effects of Lemon Balm-Containing Foods.
- A Combination of Valerian and Lemon Balm Is Effective in the Treatment of Restlessness and Dyssomnia in Children.
- Hyperactivity, Concentration Difficulties and Impulsiveness Improve During Seven Weeks’ Treatment With Valerian Root and Lemon Balm Extracts in Primary School Children.
- Effect of Valerian and Lemon Balm Combined Capsules, On Postmenopausal Sleep Disorder, a Triple Blind Randomized Placebo Control Clinical Trial.