Dementia is a term embracing a group of cognitive disorders that affect the brain and its function, including senile dementia, Alzheimer’s disease etc.
It is characterized by:
- • Impaired memory
- Increasing confusion
- Problems with object recognition
- Loss of ability to do everyday tasks
- Personality or behaviour changes
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type of dementia, accounting for 60-80% of the cases. The disease affects the cerebral cortex resulting in loss of brain cells and brain shrinkage. Neurotransmitters lose their ability to transmit nerve signals between brain cells. Here are some diet and lifestyle tips to retain brain function and prevent dementia and memory loss.
- Avoid heavy metals
- Beware of low vitamin D levels
- Walk at least 3 times a week
- Sleep in order to retain brain function
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Adopt the Mediterranean diet
- Have a normal body weight