Dry mouth or xerostomia, is a very common problem that affects a large part of population. If symptom relief is the most common way of dealing with it, the best treatment involves identifying the cause factors and eliminate them.
What is and what causes xerostomia
Normally, moisture of the mouth is preserved with the help of saliva which has many different actions such as acid neutralization and tooth protection, food removal, ease of swallowing as well as digestion of food through certain digestive enzymes it contains.
Dry mouth is caused when insufficient saliva is produced in the oral cavity resulting in a series of unwanted symptoms such as:
- Bad breathe
- Dry mouth and sore throat
- Problems with teeth
- Difficulty in speaking, chewing and swallowing
- Changing taste of foods
Causes of dry mouth
Dry mouth is usually the result (symptom) of a condition. The most common cause is dehydration or conditions leading to dehydration.
Normally with aging, body’s ability to produce saliva gradually decreases, resulting in dry mouth.
Conditions such as smoking or even snoring can cause or aggravate xerostomia.
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many drugs, such as antidepressants, anxiolytics, various neuropathy drugs, antihistamines, analgesics or certain analgesics. Also, drugs used in chemotherapy often change the quality of saliva, resulting in dry mouth. In case of xerostomia caused by drugs, it is not a permanent condition, but it subsides after discontinuation of the respective drugs.
Certain diseases (AIDs / HIV, Alzheimer’s disease etc) as well as neurological neck or head injuries can also cause dry mouth.
Treat and relieve of symptoms
To relieve symptoms of dry mouth, follow some of the following steps:
- Chew sugarless gum or candies without sugar to activate saliva production in the oral cavity. Select products containing xylitol.
- Reduce caffeine intake as it has been found to exacerbate dry mouth
- Reduce smoking.
- Do not use oral solutions containing alcohol
- Also consume water often in short sips
- Avoid over-consumption of antihistamines and decongestants as they exacerbate dry mouth
- Use special products for the treatment of xerostomia, such as toothpastes, mouthwashes, chewing gums etc ..
- Breathe through the nose and not through the mouth.
- Maintain the appropriate humidity level in the room, using a humidifier if necessary.
In Vita4you you can find a big variety of products for the treatment of dry mouth (xerostomia).